Find various important Database Management System(DBMS) questions and answers for BCA, BSC, MCA students.
Database Management System(DBMS) Questions and Answers
1. What are the disadvantages of File processing?
2. What is DBMS? Explain advantages and disadvantages of DBMS.
3. What are the different components of DBMS?
4. Explain different types of databases.
5. Explain Data anomalies.
6.What are the functions of DBMS?
1. Explain the importance of Database models
2. Explain Hierarchical Data Model.
3. Explain Network Data Model.
4. Explain Relational Database Model.
5. Explain Entity Relationship Model.
6. Explain The Object Oriented Model.
7. Explain Data abstraction or 3 schema architecture.
Relational Database Model
1. What is a Table and explain its characteristics?
2. Explain different types of keys available in Relational Model.
3. Explain Database Integrity rules.
4. Explain different Relational set operators.
5. Explain different types of joins.
6. What are the different types of Relationships in DBMS.
7. What is INDEX?
8. Explain Codd’s Relational database rules.
1. Explain basic notations of ER diagram
2. What are the different types of Entities?
3. Explain different types of Attributes.
4. Explain degree of relationships.
5. What are the database design challenges?
Advanced Data Modeling
1. What is an entity supertype and subtype, and why is it used?
2. What is a specialization hierarchy?
3. What is a subtype discriminator? Give an example of its use.
4. What is the difference between partial completeness and total completeness?
5. What is an entity cluster, and what advantages are derived from its use?
6. What is a primary key and explain its characteristics?
7. What is a surrogate primary key, and when would you use one?
1. What is Normalization? Explain its advantages.
2. Explain INF.
3. Explain 2 NF.
4. Explain 3 NF.
5. Explain BCNF.
6. Explain 4 NF.
7. Write about Denormalization?
1. Explain SDLC in detail.
2. Explain DBLC in detail.
3. Explain conceptual design in detail.
4. List and briefly explain the four steps performed during the logical design stage.
5. List and briefly explain the three steps performed during the physical design stage.
6. Explain different database design strategies.
1. What is a transaction and Explain its properties?
2. Explain about transaction log.
3. What is Scheduler and explain its functions?
4. What are the difference concurrent control problems? Explain with examples.
5. Explain concurrency control with locking method. Explain with examples.
6. Explain concurrency control with time stamping method. Explain with examples.
7. Explain concurrency control with optimistic method. Explain with examples.
8. Explain about Deadlocks.
9. Explain different types of locks.
10. Explain Two-phase locking method.
Distributed Database Management Systems
1. Describe the evolution from centralized DBMSs to distributed DBMSs.
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the DDBMS?
3. Explain the difference between a distributed database and distributed processing.
4. What are the components of a DDBMS?
5. Explain Different levels of data and process distribution.
6. Define and explain the different types of distribution transparency.
7. Explain Transaction transparency
8. Explain the need for the two-phase commit protocol. Then describe the two phases.
9. What is the objective of query optimization functions?
10. Explain distributed database design concepts.
11. Explain the difference between distributed databases and client/server architecture.
Business Intelligence and Data Warehouses
1. What is business intelligence?Describe the BI framework.
2. What are the most relevant differences between operational and decision support data?
3. What is a data warehouse, and what are its main characteristics? How does it differ from a data mart?
4. What is OLAP, and what are its main characteristics?
5. Explain ROLAP and give the reasons you would recommend its use in the relational database environment.
6. Explain the use of facts, dimensions, and attributes in the star schema and explain performance improvement techniques used in star schemas
7. Explain some of the most important issues in data warehouse implementation.
8. How does data mining work? Discuss the different phases in the data-mining process.
Database Administration and Security
1. How can you say database is corporate asset of an organisation?
2. Explain the role of databases in organizations (OR) Describe and contrast the information needs at the strategic, tactical, and operational levels in an organization.
3. Describe the DBA’s responsibilities(OR) Explain managerial and Technical functionalities of DBA.
4. How can the DBA function be placed within the organization chart? What effect(s) will that placement have on the DBA function?
5. Explain and contrast the differences and similarities between the DBA and DA.
6. What are security vulnerabilities? What is a security threat? Give some examples of security vulnerabilities that exist in different IS components.
7. Explain Database Administrative tools.