Are you a graduate and searching for a job?
If you are not interested in 9 to 5 jobs and want to work at your own time?
If you are thinking of a career change and want to enter into social media marketing jobs?
Then you came to the right place…
In this article you can find
1. What is social media marketing?
2. Top social media marketing platforms or websites
3. Online social media marketing classes and certifications
4. Skills for the social media marketing jobs
5. Social media marketing roles & responsibilities
6. Where to find social media marketing jobs?
1. What is social media marketing?
Social media marketing is the use of social media platforms and websites to promote a product or service – Wikipedia
Let me explain..
The main goal of any business organization is to get more sales and more profits.
They promote their products and services to reach more customers and get more sales. In olden days they use News Papers, Radio, Pamphlets & TV to promote their products.
But now a days lot of organizations are using various social media networks.
They are using Facebook, Twitter and other social media networks for their marketing.
Growth of social media marketing over the past decade, social media became one of the most prominent marketing channel. So a lot of organizations are increasing their social media marketing budget.
According to eMarketer, social network ad spending will reach $35.98 billion. Which represents 16.0% of all digital ad spending globally.
So, it shows that there is a huge demand for social media marketing professionals.
2. Top social media marketing websites
With the birth of social platforms, it became very easy to reach target customers. So small to big organizations are using social media as their marketing channel.
There are various social media websites available in the internet. Different companies use different social media websites for their marketing. So to succeed in social media marketing you must be familiar with the working of those websites.
Here is the list of top social media marketing websites.
Facebook is the largest social media network. Worldwide, there are over 1.94 billion monthly active Facebook users in March 2017. So it provides an easy way to connect with target customers around the globe for any business.For advertisers, Facebook provides different methods to find and target potential customers.
Here is Twitter statistic
On average, around 6,000 tweets sent per second, over 350,000 tweets sent per minute, 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.
In recent years, Twitter became an important tool for communication and conversation. So a lot of companies are using Twitter to promote their products and services.
LinkedIn is another popular and professional social media network with 467 million users. For Business to Business networking, LinkedIn is the best choice.
In LinkedIn, you can target your customers based on their industry, job title, etc.
Instagram is another popular photo-sharing social networking site. Launched in 2010 and acquired by Facebook in 2012. It has over 500 million active monthly users.
As per eMarketer recent report, Nearly 48.8% of brands are using Instagram as their marketing channel. This number may increase to 70.7% by 2017.
Pinterest is another popular Images sharing social media network. Where users can share images, videos to their own boards or other boards. Pinterest has over 150 million monthly active users.
People who belongs to the creative industries like food, beverage, home decor are depending on the Pinterest.
YouTube is another popular social media website where users can share video. Launched in 2005 and now it became the 3rd most visited website in the world.
As you know that, a video is better than the picture or words. So number of companies are using videos to promote their product & services.
As a result, YouTube has become the prime platform for marketing. A lot of organizations are using videos in various formats in their digital marketing process.
7. Google Plus
Google Plus or Google+ is an interest-based social network. It is owned and operated by Google. It has 540 million active monthly users and counting.
Many social media marketers are using Google+ as one of the social platforms for their online marketing.
So if you want to get a better job in social media marketing you must have proper knowledge about the above said social media networks.
But if you don’t know anything about social media marketing, then there is a lot resources available to learn social media marketing.
3. How to learn Social media marketing: (Online social media marketing classes and certifications)
The most important part of finding a job is to have the appropriate experience and/or training. So before entering into this social media marketing jobs you should consider
What is your background in social media?
Do you have the experience required to do the job or not?
There is no need for any specific qualifications for a social media marketing career. But lot companies are looking for Graduates and Post Graduates.
But to succeed you must have thorough knowledge of social media marketing.
So first learn and practice your self before applying for the jobs. There are various online courses available for you.
Here is the list of various online social media marketing classes and certifications.
1. Social Media Marketing: How to Profit in a Digital World (Coursera) (Linkshare affiliate)
4. Skills for Social Media Marketing jobs
Learning the process of social media marketing does not help you to succeed. You must develop some skills to succeed in this creative career.
The different skills for the social media marketing jobs
1. Understanding of the business objectives
Every business has its own objectives. So first you must understand the nature and aim of the business. You must study about
What is the nature of business.
What types products or services they are offering?
Who are their target customers, the nature of the customers?
What marketing methods they are following?
This information will help you while developing the social media marketing strategies.
2. Understanding of Various Marketing Channels
Social media is one of the many marketing channels. So you must have some knowledge about all traditional marketing channels. You must observe how organisations are using those channels to reach their customers. Then only you can merge the old marketing and new marketing strategies to get the desired result.
3. Strategic planning & Execution skills
You may know that all social media networks are not same. Each network is it own advantages and disadvantages. So you must develop different strategies for different networks.
So you must be capable of identifying the suitable social media site. Then you must identify what content works and what doesn’t work on that particular site.
Then only you can develop and execute strategies to reach your target customers.
4. Must be Creative
Social media marketing needs a lot of creativity. The main goal of any marketing method is to attract the people and turn them into your loyal customers. So the content must touch their hearts and minds.
So, it needs lot of writing skills, creating appealing visuals. So you must be creative in all aspects.
5. Leadership and Communication skills
In marketing you need to work with all kinds of people. Leadership and communication skills will help you to in this matter. So develop some communication skills.
6. Analytical skills
In traditional marketing, there are no tools to measure the impact of the campaign on the business.
But in social media marketing there are number of tools are available. Each social media website provides their own set of tools to measure the campaign.
You can measure your campaigns and also check what’s working and what’s not working in real time. So you must know how to use these analytical tools to succeed in social media marketing.
Now it’s time to check what are the different social media marketing jobs and responsibilities
5. Different Social media marketing jobs & responsibilities
Small to big organizations are marketing with social media. So there are a lot job opportunities for you. But depending on the size and type of the company the job titles may vary from company to company.
Here is list of different social media marketing jobs.
1. Social Media Marketing Manager
The social media marketing manager handles company social marketing activities. His main responsibility is creating and executing social media marketing strategy.
The other major responsibilities of a social media marketing manager:
1. According to the business goals, he must design and implement social media strategies.
2. He is responsible to create, edit, publish and share engaging content daily
3. He must work with marketing, sales and customer service to ensure brand consistency.
4. He should communicate with followers, respond to queries on time and track customer reviews.
5. Depending on the performance he should Suggest and implement new features to develop brand awareness, like promotions and competitions.
6. He must be up-to-date with current social media technologies and trends, design tools and applications.
7. He is responsible for setting specific objectives and creating reports on ROI.
As per payscale, Social Media Marketing Manager earns an average salary of Rs 4,49,976 per year. Experience strongly influences income for this job.
2. Social Media Marketing Analyst
The major responsibility of the social media marketing analyst is implementing social media strategies for the organization as per the marketing objective.
The other responsibilities of the social media marketing analyst are:
1. He is responsible to create and mange marketing content to socialize and use for social media purposes.
2. He must collaborate with other people while designing the social media marketing plans.
3. Research and administer social media tools on a daily basis according to the company social media marketing strategy.
4. Monitor and evaluate social media results on a daily basis in coordination with company goals and benchmarks.
5. He should collaborate with other team member & management to meet the company goals.
As per Payscale,The Social Media Analyst average salary is Rs 3,24,735 per year.
3. Social Media Marketing Specialist
The main responsibility of social media marketing specialist is building and executing social media strategy for a specific channel according to the marketing strategy.
The other responsibilities of social media marketing specialist are:
1. He is responsible for building and executing the social media strategy, according to the specific social media channel.
2. Generating and sharing content daily that builds meaningful connections.
3. He is responsible for creating and optimizing company pages within each social media platform.
4. Create editorial calendars and syndication schedules
5. Analyzing the performance of the content by capturing the metrics. Then altering the marketing content to reach the objective.
6. He must collaborate with other departments (customer relations, sales etc) to manage reputation, identify key players and coordinate actions
As per Payscale, Social Media Specialist average salary is Rs 3,29,090 per year.
4. Social Media Marketing Coordinator
The main responsibility of the social media marketing coordinator is creating original content and suggest creative ways to attract more customers and get more sales.
The other major responsibilities of the social media marketing coordinator
1. He should study audience preferences and find out current trends in social media marketing.
2. Creating engaging text, image and video content according the strategy.
3. He should able to design posts to sustain readers’ curiosity and create buzz around new products
4. Stay up-to-date with changes in all social platforms, ensuring maximum effectiveness.
5. He should facilitate online conversations with customers and respond to queries.
6. He should report on online reviews and feedback from customers and fans
7. Develop an optimal posting schedule, considering web traffic and customer engagement metrics.
8. Suggest new ways to attract prospective customers, like promotions and competitions
The average salary for social media coordinator salary is Rs.3,00,000 per year.
5. Social Media Marketing Copywriter
The main responsibility of social media marketing copywriter is to deliver creative and compelling content according to the social media marketing strategy.
The other major responsibilities of the social media marketing copywriter are:
1. He is responsible to create engaging content for all social media channels according to the goals.
2. He should able to create error-free campaign content consistently in accordance with brand voice, social media insight, and strong understanding of content optimization.
3. Work closely with other marketing team member to understand the company marketing goals and strategies.
4. Adhere to Writer’s Guidelines and Copy Style Guide; make suggestions to enhance the living document as necessary
5. He should observe latest trends and make recommendations based on evolving best practices.
As per Payscale, the average salary for a Social media marketing copywriter is Rs 2,98,315 per year.
Depending on the size and nature of the company, the titles may differ. So to succeed in social media marketing you must consider the following points.
1. The plus and minus of every social media marketing channel
2. How they work?
3. What type of content will work in that particular channel.
So, the next question is where to find social media marketing jobs?
Am I right?
6. Where to find social media marketing jobs?
There are different ways to find social media marketing jobs.
1. Freelance Social media marketing jobs from home
There are a number of freelance social media marketing jobs available on different sites fir freelance jobs like (Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer) where you can find social media marketing jobs online. So visit these freelance job sites and apply for jobs. If you got a job, then your work from your home.
2. Search and apply on Job Site
There are different job sites (Indeed, Careerbuilder, Mashable) frequently posts jobs for social media positions. Start to look for what the qualifications and experience are required for the positions in which you are most interested.
Do you meet the requirements then apply for those jobs.
3. Join in the social media groups
In recent days, many companies are conducting their recruitment process through social media. So use different social networks to get jobs. Join in the social media groups and make relationship with the other people. This will help you to get your job.
A few years ago, organizations are not serious about the social media marketing. But day by day the amount of people using social media is increasing. So they are now considering social media as one of the best channels to do marketing and reach customers.
Social media usage will increase in the coming years. As expected, the growth in social media will continue, with forecasted ad spend reaching $14 in 2018 (Business Insider). So there is a huge demand for Social media marketing professionals.
Now it’s your time. If you like this article share with your Facebook friends.
What do you think about social media marketing jobs? Let me know in the comments below!